Ultrasonic Testing Course
What is Ultrasonic Testing?
Ultrasonic is a high frequency of sound pulses that are emitted from a transducer above a sample. The sound waves propagate through the sample, and reflect at interfaces. The reflected waves are monitored using a detector above the sample. The thickness of the sample, and the depth and type of flaw can be ascertained using this method. The method can be applied to most materials if sound transmission is good. Quick high sensitive results are obtained.
What are the responsibilities of a individual who is certified to Ultrasonic Level 2?
An individual certified to Ultrasonic Level 2 has demonstrated competence to perform NDT according to Ultrasonic Testing procedures. Within the scope of the competence defined on the certificate, Level 2 personnel may be authorised by the employer to:
- Select the Ultrasonic technique for the test method to be used;
- Define the limitations of application of the testing method;
- Translate NDT codes, standards, specifications and procedures into NDT instructions adapted to the actual working conditions;
- Set up and verify equipment settings;
- Perform and supervise tests;
- Interpret and evaluate results according to applicable standards, codes, specifications or procedures;
- Prepare Ultrasonic written instructions
- Carry out and supervise all tasks at or below level 2;
- Provide guidance for personnel at or below level 2, and
- Report the results of Ultrasonic test
Days & Duration of UT Courses
UT80 – 10 Days Course for UT Welds suitable for SNT Level 2 Direct (80 Hours)
UT120 – 15 Days Course for UT Welds suitable for PCN Level 2 Direct (120 Hours)
UT24 – 3 Days Critical Sizing to UT Welds Level 2 FOR PCN/SNT Direct (24 Hours) – initial
UT40 – 5 Days course UT Spot Welds suitable for SNT Level 2 (40 Hours)
Supplementaries – UT40 – Nozzle & Node – 4 Days Course also available at Level 2 (40 Hours).
UT80 – 10 Days Course for UT Castings suitable for SNT Level 2 Direct (80 Hours)
UT120 – 15 Days Course for UT Castings suitable for PCN Level 2 Direct (120 Hours)
Wrought Products Specific (Forgings)
UT80 – 10 Days Course for UT Forgings suitable for SNT Level 2 Direct (80 Hours)
UT120 – 15 Days Course for UT Forgings suitable for PCN Level 2 Direct (120 Hours)
Option to do an additional certification of 4 days training and 1 day exam if, for example, you hold Welds and wish to undertake an additional category of Castings or Forging.
Thickness & Lamination Checking (Plate Testing)
UT40 – 4 Day Course for UT Plate Tester suitable for PCN/SNT Level 2 Direct (40 hours)
Ultrasonic Level 2 training at Lavender International covers the following:
- Principles of Ultrasonic Testing
- Testing techniques
- Calibration of testing systems
Sector Specific Theory:
- Detectability of defects
- Factors affecting the performance of the Ultrasonic test
- Codes of practice and standards
- Conducting and recording the test
- Interpretation of test results
- Product technology theory